Posted June 29, 2023
Hey Media Now Campers & Parents!
It’s that time of year again! Media Now at Drake University is approaching fast. We’re excited to welcome you all to camp from July 10-13, Monday-Thursday. Here are a few things to note before you arrive in Des Moines on July 10.
Locations & Dates:
2507 University Ave
Des Moines, IA 50311
July 10-13, 2023
- 2:30pm – 3:45pm All Camper Check-in at Dorms (Stalnaker Hall)
- 3:00pm – Bus from STL Arrives
- 3:45pm – Walk Together from Dorms to Opening
- 4:01pm – Opening, Keynote
Parking for the Duration of Camp
Park for free in the Olmsted Center Visitor Parking Lot. You will receive a hang-tag for your vehicle. Student car keys will need to be turned in to camp staff to be tucked in a lock-box until check-out. This is for the safety of all campers. They have no need to use their vehicle once on campus.
- 10:30am Awards Ceremony (Olmstead Center) Guardians/Advisers invited!
- Noon Camp Ends (No Lunch)
- 12:45pm Check out Complete from Dorms
- 1:00pm Bus to STL Departs
When the awards ceremony concludes on Thursday, students may return to their dorms to get their bags and personal items, check out by turning in their keys and then head out.
What do you need to bring?
If you’re wondering what to pack for class and the dorms, you can check the details here.
If you specified a roommate, we’ll do our best to honor that (2 per room). If you didn’t specify someone, don’t worry. We organize by request, then by school, and finally by course selection.
The residence hall will have a key for your room and we’ll provide you with a name tag and suggest you keep it tucked in a safe place. Most campers put it on their lanyards since they must wear lanyards throughout camp.
We don’t want you to miss out on all the fun! You’re invited to attend our closing awards ceremony on Thursday, July 13. The all-camp awards ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. Park in Olmstead – Follow signage to Olmstead Center. You can park in the Olmstead parking lot and not need a parking pass for this experience. After the ceremony, go grab your camper’s bags form the Stalnaker Hall and check out. If you’d like a campus tour, those are available at the end of camp as well. Please reserve time in advance by texting or calling 636-778-8501.
If you selected the charter bus option when registering for camp, we have you covered! Check out all of the details here. Need to add on the bus ride? You can still do that here.
- Pickup/Drop-off Spot: Mid Rivers Mall in St. Peters, MO (near Macy’s)
- Pickup Time (Leaving STL): Monday, July 10 at 9:00 a.m. Students will have one stop for lunch before arriving on the Drake University campus around 3:00 p.m. (Students should arrive 8:15-8:45am to begin loading in for departure).
- Departure Time (Leaving DSM): Thursday, July 13 by 1:00 p.m. Students should grab their bags from the dorms directly after the awards ceremony, grab a bite to eat and head to the bus as soon as they are ready. We should be back to Mid Rivers Mall around 7:00 p.m. on Saturday. The bus will make one stop for dinner on the way back. We will have students text their rides about 30 minutes out.
Name tags must be worn by staff and campers at all times when outside of their dorm. Again, this is a great place to secure your dorm key.
As always, if you have any questions, make sure to contact the Media Now team. You can give us a buzz at 314-778-8501 (call or text) or email us!